2022-2023 School Shows
The Walker Center School Events program provides local students the opportunity to experience live theater. It is our hope that this experience enhances students’ education and inspires a lifelong love of the arts.
The objective of the School Events program is to combine entertainment with education. Each show is designed to augment the school curriculum. Study guides for each performance are available for area educators to use prior to the performance. Teachers may utilize the study guides to complement instruction and prepare students for attending the performance.
Please note: These shows have been booked for student audiences and are not open to the general public.
- Show Times: 9:30 a.m. and 12:30 p.m.
- MerleFest School Day Hours: 10:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.
- All seats are $5.35. Prices include 7% NC entertainment taxes. Everyone attending, including teachers, chaperones, parents, and bus drivers, must be included in the total and charged $5.35. The number of chaperones and teachers allowed for MerleFest School Day is limited. Teachers should direct requests to their principals for approval. Reservations begin on September 1st at noon. Contact the following for any changes after requests have been approved:
- Wilkes County Schools: Contact Elaine Carson at 336-667-1121 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Alleghany County Schools: Contact Joan Nichols at 336-372-4345 or email@example.com
- All Other Areas: Contact the Walker Center Box Office at 336-838-6260 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Although recommended grade levels are listed, these performances are age appropriate for multi-grade ranges.
- An estimated number of seats may be reserved until the final ticket count deadline. The final total number attending must be confirmed two weeks prior to the show. Once the final count is confirmed, no seats may be cancelled.
- Payment is to be made on the day of the performance for the confirmed number. All sales are final. Checks should be made payable to Wilkes Community College. Cash or check only. No credit cards, please.
- Reasonable accommodations will be made for people with disabilities. Please make your special needs request two weeks in advance of the event.
- Teachers are encouraged to use the study guide provided to enhance the learning experience for students.
- All shows last approximately 60 minutes.
- Buses should arrive no sooner than 45 minutes prior to the show and enter from Meadowview Drive entrance off Hwy 268 West. Buses will be assisted with unloading and will exit in the order they arrived unless special arrangements have been made.
- As seating is limited, students will be counted and directed to seats by ushers. Students may go to rest rooms after being seated.
- We REQUIRE that students be adequately supervised. A teacher or chaperone must remain with his/her students at all times.
- Schools are responsible for any damages incurred by their students. The cost of seat damage is $100 per seat.
- Chewing gum, cameras, cell phones, recording devices, food, and drink are not allowed in the auditorium.
- In the event of inclement weather, it may be necessary to cancel shows. Every effort will be made to notify schools in advance. Shows will be rescheduled if possible.